I’ve been testing this recipe by trial and error for a while. I knew I finally nailed it when I made this version, ate it all to myself, then made another batch immediately after, and ate that as well!
This recipe is a healthy spin on the classic chocolate milkshake/frosty. The sweetness from the dates and banana, combined with the rich, chocolaty cacao powder, will satisfy any chocolate-lover’s sweet tooth without the post-splurge regret. It can be a refreshing afternoon treat on a hot summer day, an energizing post-workout snack, or a healthy dessert option.
- Cacao powder is loaded with all the good stuff originally found in the cacao bean: antioxidants, iron, potassium, magnesium, and zinc. Cacao powder also contains caffeine, at about 12mg per tbsp (one cup of coffee contains about 95mg), so you may want to avoid drinking this later in the evening if you’re sensitive to caffeine.
- Although dates contain sugar, they have a relatively low glycemic load, making them a healthier choice compared to refined sweeteners. Their consumption does not negatively impact fasting blood glucose, triglyceride levels, or body weight. In fact, eating them may actually lower triglyceride levels.
- Maca is a cruciferous root vegetable native to the high Andes of Peru. It can be consumed roasted or boiled (similar to a potato), or ground into a flour to make bread. Maca is a good source of calcium and potassium. There is some weak evidence that consuming maca may improve sexual health, fertility, anxiety, and depression.
- 2 medium-large ripe bananas
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp gelatinized maca root powder
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder (optional) - I like the Sun Warrior brand
- 10 dates
- 20-22 ice cubes
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond
- Soak the chia seeds and dates in the almond milk for at least 2-3 minutes.
- Add everything to a blender and blend until smooth.