Acai berries are the deep purple, grape-like fruit from the acai palm—a tree native to Brazil and northern South America. When frozen and blended into a puree, acai berries serve as the base for acai bowls, a new and trendy breakfast/snack option. Because they are cool, refreshing, and usually loaded with fresh fruit, acai bowls have become quite popular in warm, sunny, beachy locations, such as southern California and Hawaii. Lindsay and I frequently eat them for breakfast or as an afternoon snack during the hot summer months in Denver. When we don’t feel like walking to our favorite, local acai bowl restaurant, this is the recipe we turn to.
You can find frozen acai puree near the frozen fruit section of most grocery stores. What you top it with is totally up to you. Here are some good options:
- Sliced banana
- Hulled hemp seeds
- Diced kiwi
- Diced mango
- Toasted coconut
- Sliced almonds
- Dried goji berries
- Dried mulberries
- Chopped walnuts
- Although acai does not appear to be the “superfood” many people claim it to be, it is still a healthy fruit rich in many beneficial nutrients. Low in sugar and calories, acai berries contain a fair amount of fiber and vitamin A. Their deep purple color indicates that they are a good source of anthocyanins—the same blue/purple pigment found in blueberries—which are beneficial for our brain, eyes, and may lower our risk of cardiovascular disease, type-2 diabetes, and cancer.
- Berries are extremely healthy. To read more about berries, check out my post: 3 Superfoods to Eat Every Day.
- 4 - 100 gram packs (they are typically sold in 4-packs) of frozen, unsweetened acai puree
- 1 frozen, ripe banana (cut into ½-inch slices before freezing)
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries
- Cold water to thin, if needed
- Sliced banana
- Sliced strawberries
- See the other topping options listed above and add whatever you'd like
- Slightly thaw and break up the frozen acai. Add it, along with the frozen banana and blueberries, to a high-powered blender (a food processor may work as well, but I haven't tried this). Blend until smooth. Add a little cold water if you need to thin it a bit.
- Divide the acai puree into 2-3 bowls. Add the desired amount of your preferred toppings and enjoy!